Many of the unfinished parts of The Entombment, such as the cloak of the missing Virgin, would have required quantities of the expensive lapis lazuli blue. If this paint was in short supply, it could explain why the painting was abandoned.
42) Twelve reproductions of which Michelangelo sculpture decorate the top story of a police station in Paris?
Twelve reproductions of the Dying Slave adorn the top story of the 12th arrondissement police station in Paris. Although Art Deco in style, the building was designed in 1991 by architects Manolo Nunez-Yanowski and Miriam Teitelbaum.
43) Which of Michelangelo's sculptures is referenced by Charles Baudelaire in Les Fleurs du Mal?
In his poem "L'Idéal" from Les Fleurs du Mal, French Romantic poet Charles Baudelaire writes: "Or you, great Night, daughter of Michelangelo/Who calmly contort, reclining in a strange pose/Your charms molded by the mouths of Titans!"
44) What is the subject of Michelangelo's Doni Tondo?
The Doni Tondo features the Christian Holy family (the child Jesus, Mary, and Saint Joseph) along with John the Baptist in the foreground and contains five ambiguous nude male figures in the background.
45) How old was Michelangelo when he sculpted the Madonna of the Stairs?
The depiction of a horned Moses stems from the description of Moses' face as "cornuta" ("horned") in the Latin Vulgate translation of the passage from Exodus in which Moses returns to the people after receiving the commandments for the second time.
47) Which of Michelangelo's sculptures disappeared during the 18th century?